As with most equipment there are pros and cons with all bath lifts.
The factors that should be taken into consideration are:
• How high is the side of the bath?
• How easily can you lift your legs over the side of the bath?
• How low into the bath do you wish to go?
• How good is your stability when seated?
• Does anybody else need to use the bath?
• Do you need to lie back in the bath?
Generally: Bath lifts that are like a powered seat will take you down to around 2" - 3" from the bottom of the bath. Some of these may have a reclining backrest.
Bath lifts that are inflated or deflated to raise/lower will take you lower in the bath but are not as stable as a fixed seat.
Bath lifts that use a belt to lower and raise will take you to the bottom of the bath but are not as stable as a fixed seat, and need to be cleaned more carefully to prevent smells.